What's New in EmpCenter
Grad Students March 2016
Beginning with the March 16th payroll, grad students will use EmpCenter to record sick leave and substitute hours worked. For an overview of sick leave and substitute hour policies, see the overview document on the Student Employment page at the Office of Human Resources.
Highlights of the changes:
- Beginning with the 12/16/15 term, grad students accrue sick leave at the beginning of each term (9/16, 12/16, 3/16, and 6/16) based on appointment FTE.
- The accrual and balance available is listed on the Sick Leave tab of the employee timesheet in EmpCenter.
- Please note, grad students with a sick leave balance from the 12/16/15 term will have the balance loaded to EmpCenter before the end of the March 16-April 15, 2016 pay period.
- Substitute hours allowed per term are based on appointment FTE.
- Sick leave used and substitute hours worked are entered on the timesheet in EmpCenter.
- See the Enter Time FAQ for instructions.
- Grad students will be required to submit a timesheet at the end of the pay period.
- EmpCenter pay periods for recording sick leave and sub hours worked are the 16th-15th of the month.
- You will receive reminder emails from EmpCenter when timesheets are due.
- You do need to submit the timesheet even if you did not record any sick or sub hours.
- See the Submit Timesheet FAQ for instructions.
For more information about using EmpCenter, see the Grad Student training page.
For live help with EmpCenter, come to an open lab schedule the week of March 28th. See the announcement for times and locations.
Oregon Sick Leave - Students and Temps January 2016
Effective January 1, 2016, Oregon’s “mandatory” Sick Time Law went into effect. Unclassified employees in appointments less than .50 FTE, student employees and temporary employees (represented and non-represented) are now eligible to earn and use sick leave.
Students and Temporary Employees will accrue sick leave and record usage in EmpCenter. Highlights of the change include:
- Sick Leave will accrue at the rate of 1 hour for every 30 hours worked after January 1, 2016.
- Hours worked on Federal Work Study positions are excluded from the accrual.
- EmpCenter will be programmed to automatically accrue the time for every 30 hours worked. This was updated in EmpCenter on January 11, 2016.
- Sick leave can be used immediately after it is earned for employees that have already been employed for at least 90 calendar days; new employees can use sick leave on the 91st day of employment.
- Sick leave MUST be used in 1 hour increments.
- Sick leave can be entered directly on the timesheet or use the Time Off request in EmpCenter.
- Accrual is capped at 40 hours each fiscal year (July 1st-June 30th).
- Employees can carry over 40 hours each fiscal year.
- Usage is capped at 40 hours each fiscal year.
TRAINING: The Student/Temps Hourly User Guide has been updated with details about entering Oregon Sick Leave on the timesheet, the Oregon Sick Leave tab, and using the time off request in EmpCenter. Training modules that walk through the time off request process and entering time on the timesheet will be added soon. In addition, open labs have been scheduled for the week of January 11th. See the open lab schedule for more details.
For additional information on this new law, visit the Office of Human Resources Oregon “Mandatory” Sick Time Law webpage.
Graduate students will be added to EmpCenter in March 2016. EmpCenter training for employees and supervisors will be scheduled for late February/early March.
Unclassified employees previously ineligible for leave will begin accruing sick leave January 1, 2016 at the same rate as full time faculty pro-rated based on their appointment FTE (1.0 FTE accrue 8 hours per month). Unclassified employees will use EmpCenter to record sick leave taken and can find training on the MyTime training page for their policy profile.