Essential Time Pay Code
Classified employees that are designated "Essential" and are required to work during University closures can now record the hours worked in EmpCenter to ensure they are paid correctly.
Below are highlights of the changes in EmpCenter.
- Record your time for the day as usual. See the Closure FAQ if you need more information on how to do that.
- Add the Essential Time pay code to your timesheet for the day of the closure and enter the number of hours you were required to work. See the Essential Time FAQ for more information or the Essential Time QRC on the Training page for your policy profile.
Please note, since Essential Time requires approval by your supervisor and the business center, you will see a red exception on the timesheet until the business center completes their auditing.
- Verify that the employee is designated "Essential" and did work during the University closure.
- If correct, approve the timesheet with the red-level error.
- If the hours are not correct, make any needed updates, add comments, and then approve the timesheet.
- For more information see the Approving/Changing Essential Time FAQ or the Essential Time QRC on the Supervisor Training page.
Please note, your approval of the timesheet indicates to the business center that the time entered is correct and the employee is eligible for Essential Time pay. The red-level exception will remain on the timesheet until the business center completes their auditing.
- Verify that the University was closed on the day Essential Time was entered.
- Determine if the employee should get the additional pay or if they already earned overtime for the hours entered.
- If correct, acknowledge the exception to allow the hours to be paid as Essential Time.
- If not, make any needed updates, add comments, and - if needed - acknowledge the exception.
- For more information, see the Auditing Essential Time QRC on the Business Center Training page.
Please note, if you do not acknowledge the exception, the hours will not be paid.